Author: Daan Francois Toerien
Dr Daan Toerien, a research associate of the Free State University and former Vice-President: Operations of the CSIR, has approximately 147 research publications in the form of articles in peer reviewed journals, chapters in books, and technical and research reports.
Go to his ResearchGate profile to view them all. Many items are open source and can thus be downloaded for free.
Top publications include:
- Likely tourism impacts of potential shale gas exploration and production in the Karoo. [Book chapter]
- Enterprise development in the Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve [Technical report]
- The enterprise ecology of towns in the Karoo, South Africa [Article]
- The enterprise richness of South African towns [Article]
- The enterprise dynamics of South African towns [Article]
- New utilization/conservation dilemmas in the Karoo: Potential economic, demographic and entrepreneurial consequences [Book chapter]
- Paradoxes, the tyranny of structures and enterprise development in South African towns [Symposium paper]
Author: Johannes Wessels
Johannes Wessels, a research associate of the School of Public Leadership at the University of Stellenbosch and former journalist of 15 years, has published both research articles and thought pieces in the form of newspaper articles, and blogs.
Recent academic publications:
- A new co-operative revolution in South Africa? Reflections on the outcomes of state support in the Free State Province. Local Economy: The Journal of the Local Economy Policy Unit, Vol 31, Issue 1-2, 2016 [Article]
- uMhlathuze. In: Marais, L., Donaldson, R., & Nel, E. (Eds.) 2016. Secondary Cities and Development. New York: Routledge. [Book chapter]
- Small towns: Development potential or poverty traps? Making sure place doesn’t get preference over people. “Towards Carnegie III” Conference, Cape Town
3-7 September 2012. [Conference paper]